As the pandemic continues in the U.S., the Northern Lights Council will be proactive and make decisions that will protect the communities and families we serve. We will continue to evaluate and share updates as they become available on this website and through our social media channels.

COVID-19 FAQ from the Boy Scouts of America


Updated - June 11, 2020

Northern Lights Council service centers have returned to normal business hours (summer hours beginning 5/22).

  • The meeting rooms at the Wanzek Center for Scouting are available on a case by case basis

The Scout Shop at the Wanzek Center for Scouting, which is a national council store, is now open during special hours.

Northern Lights Council camping facilities are now open.

Scout units may conduct meetings:

  • With charter organization approval for use of their facilities
  • Following social distancing and state specific guidelines
  • Click on the image below for more guidance

Closings, Postponements, Cancellations or Meeting Format Change:

(Updated 6/11/20)

 

District Day Camps - schedules will be changing, but camps will be in operation this summer in July and August.

Scouts BSA Summer Camp - schedule has changed, but camp will be in operation this summer.

Cub Scout Adventure Camp - schedule has changed, but camp will be in operation this summer.

Medora Service Project - June 28 through September 5

  • Sessions up to June 27 have been canceled
  • Sessions starting June 28 are on through the rest of the season

NYLT at Camp Wilderness - July 26 through August 1

  • Canceled

 

Virtual Scouting Options

During this time, we'll do our best to give suggestions and guidance on ways Scouting can continue virtually (digital meetings, at-home advancement, etc). Stay tuned to nlcbsa.org and our social media channels for updates. In the meantime, follow our Facebook pages for other fun ideas.  Share your ideas for virtual meetings on social media using #ScoutingFamily and #ScoutingAtHome.


 

 

5/12/20 Statement Regarding Summer Camp

Dear Contingent Leaders, Parents, and Scouts:

In our last communication at the end of April we indicated that we would be meeting to finalize our 2020 Summer schedule for Camp Wilderness.  We met yesterday and based on information from the CDC, MN Department of Health, American Camp Association, and the National Council of the BSA we have decided that we must cancel our June sessions and reschedule the opening of camp for the week of July 5. 

The new Scouts BSA Camping season will be 5 weeks starting July 5 and ending August 8. 

  • Session 1: July 5-11
  • Session 2: July 12-18
  • Session 3: July 19-25
  • Session 4: July 26-August 1
  • Session 5: August 2-August 8 (New)

Troops signed up for a June camp session should reach out to Emilie Frenzel at your earliest convenience via email or phone (701-293-5011) to select a different session of camp and update your group’s estimated contingent size.  

We understand that there has been a great deal of uncertainty the past 6 to 8 weeks which has made it more difficult for all of us to plan.  We want you to know two things.  First, we are 100% committed to having summer camp in July & August.  Second, it will be Awesome. 

Although our dates are now set, there is still some uncertainty in our location.  In the outside chance that we will not be able to have camp at Wilderness in July & August, we may need to move our summer camp to Heart Butte Scout Reservation.  This property is southwest of Bismarck, easily accessible from I-94, and will allow us to offer most of the same programs that we deliver at Camp Wilderness.  The biggest difference will be that we will likely have to change to some form of campsite dining such as Patrol Cooking or hot food delivered to your site.   We plan to make and communicate a final decision on or before June 5 in advance of the Merit Badge sign up.

Thank you for choosing the Northern Lights Council for your Summer Adventure.  Lord Baden Powell once wrote:  “….the only reason Boys should meet indoors, is to plan to go outside.”  We are committed to helping you deliver on that promise this summer!  Please let us know if you have any questions.


 


5/12/20 Statement Regarding Cub Resident Camp

Dear Pack Leaders, Parents, and Scouts:

In our last communication at the end of April we indicated that we would be meeting to finalize our 2020 Summer schedule for Cub Adventure Camps.  We met yesterday and based on information from the CDC, MN Department of Health, American Camp Association, and the National Council of the BSA we have decided that we must cancel our June sessions and reschedule the opening of camp beginning July 6. 

The new Cub Adventure Camping season will consist of 7 sessions starting July 6 and ending August 3.

Butler Wilderness Outpost

  • Session 1: July 6-9
  • Session 2: July 10-13
  • Session 3: July 13-16
  • Session 4: July 17-20 (New Dates)
  • Session 5: July 20-23 (New Dates)

Heart Butte Scout Reservation

  • Session 1: July 27-30 (New Dates)
  • Session 2: July 31-Aug 3 (New Dates)

Packs signed up for a June camp session should reach out to Emilie Frenzel at your earliest convenience via email or phone (701-293-5011) to select a different session of camp and update your group’s estimated contingent size.  

We understand that there has been a great deal of uncertainty the past 6 to 8 weeks which has made it more difficult for all of us to plan.  We want you to know two things.  First, we are 100% committed to having summer camp in July & August.  Second, it will be awesome. 

Although our dates are now set, there is still some uncertainty in our location.  In the outside chance that we will not be able to have camp at Wilderness in July & August, we may need to move our summer camp to Heart Butte Scout Reservation.  This property is southwest of Bismarck, easily accessible from I-94, and will allow us to offer most of the same programs that we deliver at Camp Wilderness.  We plan to make and communicate a final decision on or before June 5.

Thank you for choosing the Northern Lights Council for your Summer Adventure.  Lord Baden Powell once wrote:  “….the only reason Boys should meet indoors, is to plan to go outside.”  We are committed to helping you deliver on that promise this summer!  Please let us know if you have any questions.


April Statement Regarding Summer Camp and Resident Camp

Because of our normal accreditation standards, scout camp is always run in a safe manner. However, the Covid-19 virus has created some additional challenges and regulatory over site that evolves daily. We have multiple committees reviewing all of our current procedures, and we are working with the State Health Department to ensure that we operate the safest camp possible.

Sometime before May 7, we expect to receive specific guidelines and clarification regarding summer camps that should enable us to finalize our plans for the appropriate precautions we need to implement this summer. 

Because the evolving situation could cause a change in our schedule, we must delay Merit Badge sign up until Saturday, May 16. Delaying signup will give us more accurate information and hopefully reduce the need for multiple confusing revisions.

On May 8 we will evaluate any new information from the authorities to determine if we can open in June as planned. If we can’t open in June, our contingency plan is to open camp on July 5. All Troops previously scheduled to attend in June would be encouraged to switch to either one of our July camp sessions or a new August session. We have sites available the following weeks: July 5, July 19, July 26, and August 3 (a potential new session).

Please take the time to reach out to those in your troop to consider your potential options. If you would like to move to a different session now, and not be forced into a last minute regulatory change, simply contact Emilie Frenzel. If you prefer to wait and see what happens, that is fine too. Either way, we are here to help.

If you have any questions, please reach out to Tom Barry by email or at (701) 499-0643. Also keep these things in mind:

  • We will have a "Worry free" refund policy for COVID-19 cancellations
  • Full refunds if camp needs to be canceled
  • Sanford and Essentia have confirmed that they can still conduct physicals through virtual visits (you may need to check if you have a different provider)

 

Privacy Policy

Terms of Use

4200 19th Ave South
Fargo, ND 58103
(701) 293-5011